Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sure, just let me stop time real quick so I can do all this work

I can't be at the back of the store while simultaneously at the front of the store watching the register. I can't. It's impossible. On a slower day, I can get away from the register and therefore get more side work done. On an extremely busy day, not much else is getting done when I'm ringing up one customer after another.

From what every supervisor has told me: Priority 1 as a cashier is to ring up purchases and deal with customers. Priority 2 is cleaning/recovering my assigned area daily. In order to complete all the work I was given tonight, I would have needed to have someone else at the register all night. I can't get shit done when I have to tend to the constant stream of patrons with purchases to make and obnoxious questions to ask.

Please also take into consideration that the last two nights, people haven't done their closing duties for what ever reason. That means I have to do even more work than usual, or leave it for the schmuck who closes the following night. OH WAIT, THAT SCHMUCK IS ME. HOW FUNNY.

So keep your expectations for what can get done reasonable, and you'll see that I do my very best to meet them. I may even do better that you expect, because that's often what I strive for. If your expectations for me are unreasonable under the given circumstances, you'll be disappointed. Don't compare my inability to get all tasks done on a busy night to someone's inability to do their job any night. I'm a hard worker, god dammit, but I can't work miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment